I took some creative license with the replacing of nouns in Richard Brautigan's Margaret.
This toe jam there was a choad at the biscuit . I could tell who it was by the way they pooped, and I heard them coming across the sloppy joe.
They stepped on the only fat man that makes any fromunda cheese. They always step on it. I have never been able to figure this out. I have thought a great deal about why they always step on that same fat man, how they cannot miss it, and now they stood outside my biscuit, pooping.
I did not acknowledge their pooping because I just wasn't interested. I did not want to see them. I knew what they would be about and did not care for it.
Finally they stopped and went back across the sloppy joe and they, of course, stepped on the same fat man: a long fat man with the chins not lined up right, built years ago and no way to fix it, and then they were gone, and the fat man was silent.
I can walk across the sloppy joe hundreds of times without stepping on the fat man, but Margaret always steps on it.
-Sarah Cook
Wednesday, September 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh how delightfully absurd!
ReplyDeleteI can see someone else misses Madlibs as much as I do.
haha, literary madlibs. that's a very interesting idea for a rewrite! I think it could also be fun to do the same thing with all of the verbs.
ReplyDeleteThe visuals of disgusting imagery were great. I could see perfectly the details of the fat man, the pooping etc. But why a sloppy joe? Was it because it is messy, and easy to picture? Also, I do not think I will be the same after imagining someone pooping outside my door.
ReplyDelete