Thursday, September 10, 2009
Re: A Mown Lawn
I found this piece extremely dull. Her criticisms of "America" do not come through coherently other than to voice tedious platitudes about war and superficiality being bad. While I appreciate her idea that life is a dirty business and some things can't be smoothed over, it seems to contradict her objection to "law" and "war." The speaker seems to have a very one-dimensional concept of morality, and can therefore contribute very little to the greater discussion she seems to want to be a part of. I will say that the image of the discarded grass blades fluttering away into the wind made me feel better about commentary like this; at least it will be forgotten easily.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I have to agree with Rob Love, in that I also found this piece to be extremely dull. I think the concept of a "one-dimensional morality" is right-on, and I get the sense that the message against war is not only cliche within this piece, but also poorly represented.
ReplyDelete