Response to “Details” in Reading Like a Writer by Francine Prose
Details, baby, details!
It is the color of her hair
In the moonlight in the air
In the murder of his glare
A truth that makes the lie slip by
---or brings comfort
God is truth
Truth may be God
---That which is in the details
So, details, baby, details!
--
Okay, first of all I hope the format comes out okay, since I've been having problems with that today. Also, this originally was a two paragraph response to "Details," but it ultimately got condensed into this. Go figure.
- K. De Melo.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Addition by subtraction! The flow was great, and the ending really resonated with me. Details indeed!
ReplyDeleteI dig the juxtaposition in the second stanza. Colorful hair, moonlit air, murderous glare. BAM.
ReplyDeleteI was a little confused about whether (and if so, how) the hair was in the air which was, itself, inside the glare, though.
I definitely found your choices around rhyme and rhythm interesting. The way "brings you comfort" kills the pattern of the rhythm that you had established and marks the end of any kind of rhyming is particularly attention-grabbing. Patterns and rhymes are comforting in their predictability, but in this poem, the introduction of the word "comfort" discontinues both. Makes you think, you know?
Lastly: everyone seems to be responding to the "God is in the details" bit. I don't get it myself. It seems like the expression is just being used to qualify details as good (God is good. God is in details. Details are good.) I don't know.. I must not be getting it.
The part about "God is truth, Truth may be God." It is a great way to a great number of individuals who find that God holds the truth and answers to everything. Yet is there really truth in God?
ReplyDeleteless is more. your poem said so much about the reading in just a few lines, that takes talent, kudos!
ReplyDelete