Icarus
If you were in broad daylight,
And someone mugged you at gun point, took your things, and fled
Would you be saved?
If you were walking down the street,
And someone pushed you into a dark alley, proceeded to rape you, you screamed,
Would you be heard?
If you came home from work one day,
The door was broken, your house was robbed, everything stolen,
Would it be replaced?
If your child had just gotten off the bus,
Someone grabbed them, through them in a van, kidnapped them,
Would they be found?
If you were choking in a restaurant,
Your food was lodged, your face was pale, your heart was slowing,
Would someone help you?
If you were standing on a buildings edge,
Your heart racing, your mind spinning, your life flashing,
Would someone stop you?
If you were vomiting in your bathroom,
Body heaving, throat burning, head pounding,
Would someone intervene?
If you were sitting in your closet,
Blades cutting, blood running, skin tearing,
Would someone bandage you?
If you were crying on the street corner,
Make-up smeared, nose running, voice shaking
Would someone hold you?
If you were in a nursing home, dieing
Body withering, memory going, mobility frozen
Would someone remember you?
It's funny, because I was just having an argument with a friend about whether or not people have a moral obligation to get involved if they see someone being hurt or harmed in some way. My friend was arguing that there is often nothing you can do, and meddling in other people's affairs is a risky and often disastrous activity. I read Auden's poem and it reaffirmed my stance on the subject: That if you see something awful happening, you are responsible to try to help, regardless of whether it means talking to the police for an hour of your day, or possibly getting hurt yourself...
ReplyDeleteI think you made a very, very compelling case for getting involved, and it responded nicely to Musee des Beaux Arts. Well done!
Wouldn't it be great if people really were humanitarians, not just to boost a resume or college appt but because it was the right thing to do? Helping a stranger who's being harmed or who is in someway in need of help? I think in a utopian society people really would get involved and I think that people often think that "if I see something awful happening than yes I would help," but I think that until you are faced with that kind of a situation its really hard to judge. I would love to think that I am noble enough to help an unknown person if they need help or if I feel that they need help, but often times I think it is far better to mind your own business especially if there's a good chance you could be hurt too.
ReplyDelete