Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Response to "My Papa's Waltz"

Untitled poem inspired by “My Papa’s Waltz”

The first sadness begins to flicker
As your eyes gleam
And you quietly snicker
Delighted by your own scheme.

I wonder which of us is mad
As you word bends
What’s good to bad
‘Til my peaceful reality ends.

I waited for you to grow up
To meet me with the truth
But you sip from your cup
And arrogantly sit in your booth.

Already you begin to forget what I said,
So there is nothing left to fix,
And I stand away from you,
Wondering how I ever got caught in your conflicts.

You’re so cruel,
That to feel the way I do
I realize I must have been a fool
To have ever believed in you.

- K De Melo.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this. I really like "My Papa's Waltz." Your interpretation of it is great. I appreciated the idea that the child was still very young but greatly mature for their age because of their home life and situation.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.