the question has come up hundreds of times before and will probably come up hundred times more. who am I daunts me at school, at work (if I had one), before I fall asleep, even in my dreams. The answer to the question is not a simple one. After all I know I am more than a body with a complex.
That line in the song that makes your heart skip a beat-
That’s who I am.
A moment caught in semi-gloss paper.
That’s who I am.
A drawing you drew in astronomy.
That’s who I am.
That time you tripped in front of your celebrity crush.
That’s who I am.
The awkward tan lines that cover my body that I wear as a souvenir from standing all day in the sun; waiting for live music to shoot through my veins.
That’s who I am.
My dog’s hair I find in random articles of clothing when I’m rushing to class.
That’s who I am.
The gossip that travels through my family, faster than a car in a freeway-
That’s who I am.
The overly priced plane tickets to see our favorite band together in their hometown-
That’s who I am.
Random stories I would make up on the spot I sent to you through text-
That’s who I am.
Our lyrical hero doing the Ashlee Simpson dance at 1145 pm on April Fool’s Day-
That’s who I am.
Almost getting killed crossing the street, because I trusted you looked both ways-
That’s who I am.
The band t-shirt collection hanging in my closet-
That’s who I am.
The soccer game my father watches religiously-
That’s who I am.
My mother’s finger-licking-good authentic Mexican food-
That’s who I am.
The stupid fights my brother and sister have with or without me-
That’s who I am.
The dreams I have at night that seems too real-
That’s who I am.
My life motto; we only breathe for so long-
That’s who I am.
…I am nothing but my memories, experiences, and thoughts
-bethsy bobadilla
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I often find it is difficult to define oneself because we feel that what we are can not be defined by just one thing. We feel as if one word or one phrase is not not truly telling of who we are, and in a way is selling ourselves short. Yet,in your poem you have defined yourself through a series of personal images and memories. I felt that this was a highly effective method of conveying who you are and what you are about.
ReplyDeleteYour line "Almost getting killed crossing the street, because I trusted you looked both ways-
ReplyDeleteThat’s who I am." captures so much!
Lochlan