Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Day Lauren Died

After dinner, Jae and I get back home late. She invites to watch True Blood in her room, but instead I wander around the house, take secret slugs of wine, go into her roommate Lauren’s room. Lauren had the smallest room but the coolest stuff. Old Polaroid cameras, a Holga, comic books. I sat on her bed next to her cat Clementine. I sometimes think that I like her better than Jae.

I retire to Jae’s room late, we have sex, she falls asleep instantly. I stay awake and think.

A phone call wakes us up 7:00 am. It is Kat, Jae’s art department friend from Berkeley. Jae asks what?
“I’m calling about, Lauren,” Kat says, I can hear through the phone, listen irritatedly.
“What?” Jae says, sitting up in the bed. She looks at the clock, turns on the lamp.
“She was in a car accident,” Kat says. “Her and her family.”
“What?” Jae says.
“They were in an accident. They tried to call you but they couldn’t find Lauren’s phone, her dad had my number.”
“Why, what? What happened?”
“She didn’t make it, Jae. I’m sorry.”
“What?”
“She’s gone.”
Jae starts getting hysterical and hangs up the phone. She starts screaming and hugs me and cries. She lays down in the bed, coveres her head with the pillow, kicks, screams. She gets on the phone to call Ryane. I get up because I think I‘m going to vomit. But I don’t for some reason. I can hear Jae screaming into the phone, “Lauren’s dead! She’s dead!” and crying. I go into the living room. Clementine is sitting on the couch. I sit next to her and pull her onto my lap.

1 comment:

  1. I like your take on the piece. It has a nice modern twist to it where as the piece, The Day Lady died, had a more old fashion feel to it. One of the things that I like about your piece is that I can picture it in my mind. I can see Jae screaming in her bed with her eyes full of tears.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.