Wednesday, September 16, 2009

My Papa’s Waltz, Theodore Roethke


I read the obituary
With a clenched jaw
In hopes that I can forget about she
My nostalgic lover’s law

Coffee, paper,
Strangling both
Every morning without her
Mourning I loath

Word plus word
Equal sentence
Looking for murd-
er, ghost hunting her presence

no plane crashes
still alive
last sip of coffee dashes
my smile takes a dive

7 comments:

  1. Wow, so many people I know associate plane crashes with relationships. I have had so many different versions of plane crashes in my dreams.....totally against my will, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the line "I read the obituary
    With a clenched jaw" really captures that moment of disbelief.

    and the homonym in " Every morning without her
    Mourning I loath" adds to the emotion in this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The second stanza with "Coffee, paper/Strangling both" managed to capture even something really mundane as something to struggle with when the narrator's target is gone. It was a very strong image there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The second stanza
    "Coffee, paper,
    Strangling both
    Every morning without her
    Mourning I loath"
    stayed with me. The image it brings to mind and your use of morning/mourning really caught my attention.

    - K De Melo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. I loved this. I was really inspired by the intensity you could feel and see radiating off of the man with the paper. You could feel his every emotion.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.