Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Eight: Details

God in the details.
I wonder what God feels like to those who know him.
Perhaps the reason why it continues to intrigue me is that I have never completely understood it.
And if God is truth-
then how long does it take to get to heaven or hell?
(When other galaxies we know of are a gazillion light years away).
Details are what persuade us that someone is telling the truth.
What truth have you
in perfect detail, at once surprising, unexpected, inventive, unpredictable, but not enitrely plausible?
What well chosen detail can tell us more about the character of God?
His grace? His judgement? His guiding hand?
If we live in detail, but think in generalities,
where does that place God within us?
We might want to pay attention to how and what we remember.
Although, sometimes,
I'm appalled by the details
and after I scream and scream I feel much better.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it very interesting how you chose to take lines from the chapter "Details" and implement them into your poem here. Using those lines as a starting point is a very unique way to set a platform for the entire poem above, especially the first and last lines which were both taken from the text. They frame the poem in a memorable way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The inclusion of the main points of the text into the poem really adds to the poem. The last few lines really made me pause to think about the language.

    - K. De Melo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think what is really fitting in the poem is the association of details with God, because God/spirituality are subjective as are the details or lack-of details in a piece of prose or poem. What one person thinks is a great amount of detail another may not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice post, it asks big questions that don't seem to want to be answered. The questions are universal i think, where many of us ask the same thing. it leaves me in thought, asking the same questions...

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.