The Clock
It rings in my ears
The persistence is disheartening
And even when I lie down
To take sleep
It rings and rings
Like some hellish drone
In the depths of a cavernous dwelling
I wonder at times
If I will forever be reminded
When I lie down to take sleep
Of that ringing in my ears
Because I know
It will still be there
In 10 years
20 years
Lets hope I learn
To forget about it by then
But the persistence
The utter doggedness of this sound
As though the clicking of a clock hand
That ticks and tocks
And means only to be there
In that moment
While I lie in my bed
It’s cold caressing lullaby
Tick
Tock
Tick
Tock
If only you were so sincere
As these demons
If only it was your heart beat
That lulled me to sleep this night
Why love?
Why so half-hearted?
-McCoy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think the detail about the ticking clock works very well. I also really like the alliteration with the repeating of the words 'tick' and 'tock.'
ReplyDeleteIt's interesting how your poem and Creely's rain started off with a feeling of annoyance and later after acceptance sunk in, something more serene.
ReplyDeleteI liked the lines in the last stanza, "If only you were so sincere/as these demons." I feel that these lines suggest that although you dread the ticking of the clock, although you cannot stand the concept of time, they happen to be more sincere than the person you are speaking of. The ticking of the clock we can count on, but the concept of love isn't so certain.
ReplyDeleteYou ever get that feeling in your gut when your having the time of your life with someone, that you need to eat up every little flavor of every little moment, because when you wake up, you might never see them again?
ReplyDeleteDepressing, I know.
I love to fall asleep to beats: rain, clocks, heartbeats... but I especially like the cadence of breathing. Especially when the liquor is running through the veins. But then that next morning comes way to fuckin soon, and poof...
its all gone.
Depressing, I know.