Plastic Spork
This strange thing must have slide down
Heaven’s whip cream clouds.
It resembles a tulip
Gripped tightly in the fists of patrons.
As you hold it fondly in your hand,
As you stab the cheery on top of the ice cream,
It is not possible to imagine a more beautiful flower:
In a garden of fast foods
It comes wrapped in its own napkin.
- K. De Melo.
---
Response to “Fork” by Charles Simic
I found the poem "Fork" by Charles Simic a little hard to take seriously, even after I read it over and over again, and came to the conclusion that it contained a deeper commentary on Simic’s rather bleak views. I spent a lot of time wondering just why he chose the fork instead of another piece of flatware. Were the blunt tips of the fork more attractive than violent tip of the knife? Was the spoon too sensual? I'm kidding. However, I did come to appreciate the author's use of language. After the first few readings, I found that lines such as, "...It resembles a bird's foot...Worn around the cannibal's neck..." were very well chosen, very interesting, and vivid. I guess I just have never taken the time to consider using a description of the fork as a way to express myself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I enjoyed the comparison between the spork and a flower. The way you describe the the napkin as if it were the leaves that enfold a flower was also particularly effective.
ReplyDeleteGreat minds think alike, K.D. Great awesome super cool minds like ourselves.
ReplyDeleteWhy can't it just be about a fork?
ReplyDeleteI like the distinction in voice between you and Simic. Very different feel.
ReplyDelete