Wednesday, September 16, 2009
response to Baxter
I disagree with opinions Baxter poses in his piece "Rhyming Action." I think Baxter focuses too much on the differences between writers of different genres, instead of highlighting their similarities. They are all, in fact, writers by nature, which makes them essentially birds of a feather. It would seem more appropriate to group all writers together and give them the characteristics that Baxter gives poets, therefore leaving what he considers the characteristics of prose writers to describe the general population, or everyone that is not a writer. I think that most writers are sullen. Most writers are naturally indulgent and disorganized. How Baxter describes prose writers is how I would describe engineers or mathematicians, or some logic-based equivalent.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Indeed, Baxter does seem to have it out for prose writers.
ReplyDeleteI agree. I tend to lean towards the notion that people who write are no more or less than people who write. "Birds of a feather," sounds accurate-- There is no need to complicate the craft.
ReplyDelete