Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Blatant Imitation/Poking Fun of "Fork" by Charles Simic

Spork

This outlandish object must have flown
Straight down from heaven.
It is similar to a king and his crown
Regal on top his sires skull.

As I clutch it in my fist
As I poke it into my KFC mashed potatoes,
It is feasible to visualize his majesty:
He rests atop his body, my enclosed hand
That is big, fat, and round.

-Sarah Cook

6 comments:

  1. Pitch perfect parody you've got going here. Your light-hearted brightness is a fun counter to Simic's strange poem. I also have to commend you on your choice of cutlery. The spork is as well suited to poetry as it is to eating ANY KIND OF FOOD YOU WANT. In my household, we revere the spork, acknowledging its place as the most perfect of all eating utensils... we even own several that are dishwasher safe. It's the logical next step in the evolution of eating. Wood skewers to Chopsticks. Chopsticks to Forks and Spoons. Forks and spoons to Sporks. Anyone not embracing the spork needs to question why they have this irrational fear of change and consider voting republican.
    What was I saying?
    Oh yeah. Nice poem. I like that you managed some cheeky comentary about the kind of person who would relate a utensil to a crowned king, but, for the record, Iamnotfat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After I posted my Spork poem I noticed K.D. also chose the Spork for her response. Great minds think alike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you used KFC, it felt misplace but in the most perfect way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved that you compared the spork to a king, because, thinking about it, a spork does kind of resemble a king, with the crown, big belly, and all. (Not that all kings have big bellies...)Also, comparing a spork to a king is almost as over-the-top as Simic's disdain for forks. It is a great parody of the poem. I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sporks are definitely the hot shit. I mean that in the best of ways-- heaven-sent as Boomer says. But honestly, I wasn't expecting the mashed potatoes. I thought we were gonna see you dig in to a big piece of meat. Then again, I guess the spork is less conducive to carnivorous indulgence-- mac and cheese maybe?
    Nice work Sarah
    me like

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, the KFC line differs from the other heavenly king-like images you provide. Very real. Misplaced in the perfect way is right!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.