I remember doing things like this with my name when I was in kindergarten. It was a little more restricted then, we could only use the first letter and it had to be a word to describe us. JENNY was somewhat tricky for me as a child. Many times I had to describe myself as "jolly" and "yellow-haired". Anyway, I decided to re-explore those childhood times with this poem. I rarely to absolutely never write poetry, so I'm looking for different ways to trick myself into doing one for the workshop assignment this week. This is the first dip into the poetry waters:
bits and Parts
Of
evEryday
Mush
Placed in a way
sO everyday mush
sounds likE
extraordinary Mush
well i tried to get the POEM POEM stuff lined up but fuck it. sorry all - sometimes i feel like i don't understand computers AT ALL
ReplyDeleteHaha well hey Jenny I really enjoyed your poem, nonetheless. I think you did a nice job even with the alignment difficulties.
ReplyDeleteI like that you spell out poem, and kind of pick apart and define what a poem can do - describe everyday things while bringing new light and meaning to them.
ReplyDeletei like your witty-ness! :) i too remember those poems back in grade school, the Y is always a hard one, right? anyways, your poem was amazingly entertaining, and funny.
ReplyDeleteI think this piece was great. I loved how honest you were in the begining...giving it your best shot. And look what happened it came out unique and funny and simple. I liked it a lot.
ReplyDeleteI think they were called Acrostic poems though Im not sure. The whole idea behind "Composition in Retrospect' was to use the words to describe the structure while using the same structure it described. You have done something similar. NIce job
ReplyDeletethe alignment is tricky with the blog. I think it would be great if you doubled this poem, just to add more to it. It reads like it is just scratching the surface of what you want to say, and I want to hear the full of what you're saying.
ReplyDeleteHaha! I really enjoyed your poem! It was lighthearted yet so honest at the same time, whether you meant for it to be or not. Sometimes I feel poetry is a bunch of mush-- that it takes mundane, everyday objects and tries to make them something extraordinary. While I appreciate this aspect of poetry, it's nice to hear someone call poets out on this process. Good job!
ReplyDelete