Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Literature in Bulk Quantities...

...like corn, or as the indigenous Mesoamerican Taino people called it: maize

Although it's not technically a literary journal, Esquire magazine has an online fiction section with some great stuff. They host an annual short story contest that I wrote something for, but couldn't finish it by the deadline. But, anyhoo, check it out here: http://www.esquire.com/fiction/

I used to like to read the print edition of the threepenny review, but always felt a little slighted by the price being roughly six dollars and ninety seven cents more than the title indicates. Luckily, there is an (abridged) online version available for looking at: http://www.threepennyreview.com/index.html

Oh, and another one is Eclectica. The site is actually a bit sparse looking; kinda reminds me of the old days of really bad looking geocities and angelfire types of webpages, which I think are due to be ironically cool pretty soon (give it another year or two). But the magazine takes submissions year-round and they are pretty frequent with putting out new issues (a lot of these lit journals only put out an issue like two times a year) and some of the work is quite good, and also I think it's probably useful to see the type of work that people are reading/writing currently, considering most of the authors we read in school are pretty much all dead. http://www.eclectica.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.