Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Composition in Retrospect by John Cage

i Must
Emphasize
The
Haughtiness
Of it all
but Don’t laugh

My
MEmory
of whaT
Happened
years agO
Does

Make
mistakeEs
Twisted
Hallucinations
Of the
Devil...(and things like that)

I just posted part of my story which turned out to be rather long, and didn’t end up sounding like a complete story anyway. I think I had a hard time writing a complete story because I was trying to work within certain limits. For anyone who hasn’t tried this type of exercise, I would recommend it. I think the fact that it’s so limiting makes it a clever canvas from which to write. It makes a lot of sense that creativity would emerge from a place that is so confined and structured. We did this in class last week when we wrote about, “Before I was _________, I was _________,” but that was kind of boring! I recently learned how to write a Pantoum. In a pantoum, you write poetry from this set blueprint that has you repeat lines over and over. Writing in these non-usual ways is a nice diversion from the usual writing we do.

4 comments:

  1. The part of thwe work that had the most impact was "My
    MEmory
    of whaT
    Happened
    years agO
    Does

    Make
    mistakeEs", I relate to this statement.
    However, I did not agree with you saying the exercise we did in class was boring. Harsh dude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is the piece I wrote about, too. i just think it's really interesting to use the word METHOD as part of your method. Memory was the part that spoke the most to be in the original and I'm glad that you used that in yours, as well.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.