Wednesday, November 4, 2009
cage
I REALLY liked John Cage's poem from Composition in Retrospect (and not because it was the first thing that I read). It's not very complicated or difficult to "discover the hidden meaning," but still, it got to me somehow. I found it funny that he is using a method, and METHOD is the word he uses as his frame. Mostly I just liked the content, because it's true. My memories of what happened really aren't what happened. And the fact is, that everything was more conventional than I remember. The mind has a tendency to elaborate, to distort the mundane into something worth remembering. This happens to me often, and I'm sure it happens to others as well, and it was great to read a poem that was so simple, yet encompassed something so basic and true.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree that the poem didn't have a weird impact when you first read it because it definitely draws your eyes to different areas of the poem.
ReplyDelete