1. "Broken bottles were embedded in the walls around the house to scoop the kneecaps from a man's legs...": I think this works so well because it is dealing exactly with shape and size. The shape of a broken bottle and the shape and size of a knee cap fit together perfectly. Usually when I see the kind of wall that he is talking about I only imagine what it will do to the hands. The knee cap is much more effective (because of the size/shape relation) and I know that this image will stay with me for a long time. Scoop is also a word that produces a curved kneecap shape. I haven't actively thought about fitting the size and shape of objects together in my work, so I am going to steal this trick: Find two things that physically fit each other perfectly but don't actually go together and make them connect in a sentence.
2. "There is no other way to say this" This sentence stood out. It was a clear and defined statement and it was unlike all of it's fellow sentences to this point. It speaks directly to the reader and conveys a deep sense of shock and almost fear. Sometimes it can be easy to read through something that talks about ears like dried fruit or spilling them out on the table or whatever. Using this direct statement re-enforced the image in my mind. It was like the writer himself couldn't believe what he just wrote and makes the situation feel real, factual. I do think the only reason this works is because it was only used ONCE, and not throughout the entire piece. I'm also going to steal this: to break away once from the description and write a simple, direct sentence that does not involve any of the characters, plot, or description.
I like that you bring up the bit about the kneecaps. That was a very violent and haunting image, and as soon as she used the word "scoop" I think I shuddered a little bit.
ReplyDeleteIt's cool that you looked at this piece in terms of what it can do for you and your writing. Good way to get new and interesting ideas flowing.
nice work
I agree that the use of the first sentence worked well within the piece to contrast with the description. I like that you are aware of what you can take away from reading and utilize within your own writing, and very intentional and clear about how you convey it.
ReplyDelete