Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Response to Anna in the Tropics-Nilo Cruz

I very much enjoyed reading Anna in the Tropics. It was a quick easy read, mainly because the story line was incredibly written. I found myself engaged in the play, as if I was an on looker on stage, but I knew everything that was going on. At the same time I felt like the characters issues affected me as well. The weird thing about this play is that I felt pity for all the characters at some point, like there was no true villain (or hero) in this play. I found myself liking them in one scene and in the other hating their actions, very versatile. This stood out in my mind because I think this is the first piece of writing that has ever made me feel this way. I also thought that the existence of the Anna Karenina story within the play worked well. Other times this technique doesn’t seem to work too well, but without it this story couldn’t exist. I enjoyed how the story of Anna Karenina came to life within Anna in the Tropics, and how it influenced everybody in the factory, including the reader. Over all an amazing story, I enjoyed it.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I think the way that the action of the play paralleled with the passages read from Anna Karenina really helped to re-emphasize the theme that Cruz was going for. Additionally I was wondering if you thought it would be effective if Juan Julian read from more than one book?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.