Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Our Lady of 121st: SVU

Our Lady of 121st is a very captivating and creative take on a tragedy. It's filled with voilence, street diction, and catholocism. It reminds me of an episode of Law and order, but more realistic, and without the obvious and cleiche dialogue, and predictable storylines. Guirgus trul is one of the best playwrights i've ever read. The story mmoves along nicely, switching between different characters, giving the reader multiple perspectives, and gret detail; in plot and in dialogue. There is also bits of comedy thrown into the grim, darkness of the story, giving the reader some stress relief. It's kind of a, I'm laughing, because I need to laugh in the face of traged in despair, rather than it's just outright funny. I just wish Guirgus would rewrite all the Law and Order episodes, so I could actually tolerate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.