Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Pushing My Hands

I write poetry and I write prose. I use a lot of details and it's hard for me to get straight to the point, without over indulging in adjectives. I love writing, more and more. It's becoming a part of what I want to do with my life, which scares me. My mom told me to try and choose a career that helped me earn a reasonable income. Well I tried, it doesn't seem to be the direction that I am headed in. "The qualities most necessary to a teacher, if she is to help a student overcome resistance, are passion and an open mind" I have passion and an open mind. Neither are a problem for me. Yet acting on them sometimes gets quite challenging for me. I love constructive criticism, I value it. Sometimes I don't know how to use it, I struggle. Recently I had peer reviewers point out a topic in my piece that they found questionable. They suggested that I leave it out, that I banish the topic from my piece. But it was one of my crucial points. So, what then? I can't get rid of it. It is now a part of my piece, an entire leg and without it my piece will not stand up straight. The entire significance that IS my piece will be gone and will no longer matter. I suppose this is my resistance. I want to fix it, just as they suggest, I mean they speak for my readers right? But how do I fix it for them, but keep it the same for me, for what I want to say?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your struggle, both of them, and think they are quite normal. This process of commitment to the craft and the difficulty of critique will be there from beginning to end. So, the best thing to do is compromise when you can. Re-write some of the piece to see if you can keep that idea while fleshing out what may have been difficult to others. We may write alone but the words of of this world so we have have to deal with it. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HERE HERE!!!!
    You've got support because I want to make money writing, but we have to come up with the great American novel to do that.
    Just don't give up, quitting is way less fun lol!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.