Our Lady of 121st St:
After going through your characters from the more ghetto sides of New York as well as your little Catholic community that you may or may not be commenting on, I'll admit, I was a little confused with where you were going with your story. I see people who have all been cared for by Sister Rose and why they would be upset over the fact that her body was stolen as well as everything else at her wake, but what was up with some of the arguments going on in there, such as the big fight between Norca and Inez during the first act? It confused me as well as the fact that many of the characters in the story have a weird way of going along a lot of stereotypes, and I think you know that I'm referring to the two gay characters in the play that portray the long lived tale of the gay couple where one of them is afraid to be open while the more openly gay one provokes the other. Is there something I'm supposed to be learning from these stereotypes or was that something you thought I wouldn't notice? Shame on you Our Lady.
-Adan Falcon
Wednesday, October 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Interesting that you found the stereotypes to be disappointing or "shameful." Personally, I found the story to be somewhat of a comedy, most of which was due to the playful way that the stereotypes were approached. The subject matter was, in general, so serious that some sort of relief was needed.
ReplyDeletei agree to a certain extant with your take on our lady. the stereotyped didn't really bother me, because i didnt think he dug into them as much as others would. but i guess now that you mentioned it, it is a little too much. but what i do agree with is that it can get a little confusing. like there is not enough descriptions of the character i found myself looking back constantly to make sure i was thinking of the right one.
ReplyDeletei wouldn't exactly say that the stereotypes were shameful, but it may have been a little too much for me as well. i might be the only one here - but reading this play (as it is also with many plays) i can't escape the vision of a stage full of over-acting stage actors, fresh off the set of "stand and deliver".
ReplyDelete