Wednesday, December 2, 2009
Revision - Rewriting
Whenever I have to revise a piece, I have a hard time going back into it. After I put the effort into writing it the first time, I don't like to go back to that emotional state or place I was in when I wrote it. One thing I've found helpful is to completely re-write the piece without looking at the original. It can be stressful and hard to put all the energy into another piece, but it really helps to be able to pick and choose what works best in each story.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
One thing I found helpful was writing my story in another genre like in a poem or an opposing monologue between characters, or in a play. That way you can get to know your characters more...if that's your goal.
ReplyDeleteI agree. It's like when you put your all into a particular piece, you feel li8ke your betraying it by trying to redo it. Plus you feel emotionally exhausted from that topic already, its like "i have to go through it all over again?"
ReplyDeleteI wish I had the command to do this with my writing. I have heard from many writers that this is an effective tool, however I can never bring myself to stay within the "range" of the initial piece. And I always seem to favor the original over the 2nd attempt...writing is frustrating sometimes
ReplyDeleteI do the same thing. Rewriting helps me weed through the crap.
ReplyDelete