Wednesday, December 2, 2009

revision

When I am feeling blocked with a certain piece or in need of another perspective, I like to use a techinque I learned in another creative writing class. It's very simple. I just rewrite what I've written exactly the same, but from another POV. For example, if I wrote it in the first person, I'll rewrite it in the second or third. Sometimes just changing the perspective can make the character seem different and new. Sometimes it illuminates characterisitcs that can then be elaborated on. Or perhaps show some phrases to be unnecessary.

1 comment:

  1. I used to do the same thing when I wrote exclusively in the third person perspective (which I think is pretty common among new writers). I found that switching to first person helped me get inside my character's heads.. almost like a form of method acting. Definitely useful.
    ...Until I got tired of translating back to 3rd person and got hopelessly addicted to writing everything in 1st. Hah.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.