Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Training a Winner

I have found that after examining my piece too extensively, I simply become bored and encouraged to start something new. I feel like the ultimate goal of revision is to polish a piece of writing--however, if I cannot see my piece from a fresh perspective every time I sit down to revise, I really don't see the point. Sometimes it just feels like I'm beating a dead horse, when ideally, it should feel like I'm racing a young stallion. I believe that if a horse isn't born to win a race, there is no point in training the shit out of it in an attempt to do so. Instead, buy a new horse--start over from square one. After all, no matter how incapable the first horse was, it is likely to have taught you a thing or two about how to train a winner. This tends to be how I approach the craft of writing: start strong and make it easier for yourself in the end.

4 comments:

  1. thank you. i had a headache before and now after reading your post, i feel a peace toward the revision process. i will no longer force it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can dig it, but what if you're just eternally starting over because you're never satisfied? There has to come a point where you just give in and let the ship sail or let the horse run it's race regardless of how much you heckle it from the sidelines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like your way of thinking...it gave revision a postive connotation instead of a negative one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a little confused at your post. I'm not sure if what you're is saying is that revisions should be something useful, or just a way to weed out what's trash.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.